Giulia, family name of the current owners of the property, was chosen to pay tribute to an ancestor known by the local people as "Donna Giulia" and still remembered for her generosity.
The house itself, built in 1700 as a family home, presents two circular towers, typical of this part of Cilento, and a portico that embellish its profile. Built entirely of sandstone extracted from the property it stands on, this home was used by the owners as a farm house and summer residence in the second half of the 1800s. The two towers were used as dovecots between which the arrow slits, that still exist, mounted guard. The recent renovation of the property, carried out in complete respect for its history, has left it intact and has enhanced the ancient charm of this typical Cilento building.
The Surrounding Area
The property is situated in the higher part of Caprioli, hamlet of Pisciotta, facing south, and this provides an extraordinary view of the whole Capo Palinuro headland with its sea and beaches, and from where the isle of Stromboli can be seen on the horizon on clear days.
Even though the property is in a secluded position atop a small hill, it is very near a small village with a church, a well stocked supermarket and a post office. The main beaches of Palinuro and Pisciotta are only 7 to 8 minutes away and it takes just 15 minutes to get to Marina di Camerota, also easily reached by train from Pisciotta station.
The house with its antique wood oven is positioned between two millenary olive trees and surrounded by centenary olive groves and mastics. To the north the house overlooks Mediterranean scrub made up of berry bushes, heather, rock roses and oaks forming a green frame that unites with the blue of the sea. This natural environment is made more enjoyable by the chirping song of the crickets. A wonderful solution if you want to spend a relaxing holiday at the sea.